Wrote my letter of resignation just now. REAL LIFE, MAN.


… On a related note, does anybody actually include sender and recipient address on business letters? Everything I’ve ever googled has them, but they seem so archaic and pointless? Then again, I see them on online cover letter examples, but I’ve never put them on a cover letter either. Why is this bothering me so much anyway? It’s a letter of resignation. -_-

Partly because I can, partly because I’ve been wanting to move out for a while anyway, partly because long distance relationships suck a lot, haha. I’m killing two birds with one stone (I only now just realized how violent an idiom that is) and I do have a decent amount of money saved up… so we’ll see how it goes. :D

Partly because I can, partly because I’ve been wanting to move out for a while anyway, partly because long distance relationships suck a lot, haha. I’m killing two birds with one stone (I only now just realized how violent an idiom that is) and I do have a decent amount of money saved up… so we’ll see how it goes. :D

1 note 

Soooooooo I have a one-way ticket out of Toronto (for May 24th), effective last night. I am leaving the day after my dad’s birthday. Not that that means anything because we don’t celebrate birthdays in this family. NOT THAT I’M COMPLAINING BECAUSE I DON’T CELEBRATE ANYTHING ANYWAY.


… But yeah, I don’t really want to ask for a ride to the airport even though that would save me 1.5 hours. I will probably ask. -_-


I’m probably just kind of going to float through the next month and a bit… but I guess until then, I need to file my taxes, get all the health checkups I can possibly get under the amazing free healthcare we have in Canada, then hope I don’t get any serious health issues while I live insurance-less in the US. :’D


I have nooo idea how long I’ll be there. Even if I find a job (not too worried there), I don’t really want to be in Oklahoma any longer than two, three years. I haven’t planned any further ahead than that though. I could end up back in Toronto or hopefully I’ll have enough money to move to a completely new country.


Who knows. I sure as hell don’t. «


(I’m done rambling for now. I’m a tiny bit loopy. Byebye.)

4 notes 

logic-and-art:

> There is a place for in-speak in academia - re: scientific papers, let’s talk about Drosophila husbandry in code because it’s assumed that those reading the paper have the proper training

> It takes literal years of proper training to not only divine the meaning from those papers but to have the context to understand what they’re saying fully.

> But to make the information accessible and readily available, to disseminate the information to those who can contribute to the process, it needs to be taken out of code.

> Linguistic prescriptivists fall apart when you put them out of their depth. It’s not about communication, because proper language use can be utilized to obscure or to communicate so precisely that if you don’t have the particular knowledge, you can’t understand it at all.

> Your ability or inability to speak that code is literally a matter of exposure, time, and effort. It does not affect, nor does it reflect, a lack of intelligence. It’s exactly the same pattern with any language or dialect.

4 notes 

jameskiidd:

demon-potato:

jailor:

i dont think yall realise its illegal to take a picture of someone and put it on a social media site without asking their permission and i know thats really cliche of me to say but i mean honestly stop taking pictures of strangers you find attractive and putting it on tumblr

my ex-best friend keeps doing that to me

This is a really important thing that everyone needs to see tbh

It’s actually pretty creepy. Especially some of the captions/commentary.

33,208 notes 

After being asked if he thought that a woman simply leaving her house was enough to blame her for her own rape: Uh… yes? There’s no excuse for not being aware of your surroundings. If a comet falls on your head because you’re not paying attention, then you’re partially responsible. Besides, it’s just stupid to leave your house without a male escort. Where would a woman even need to go where she couldn’t take a man with her? In response to being asked if the same applied to men or children who get raped: Obviously not. It’s not like they can predict that’s going to happen to them.

Psychology major

(via shitrichcollegekidssay)


Jesus Christ.

647 notes 

On Representation.

I’m somewhat - but not exactly - ashamed/apologetic for something I’ve always believed. I used to always think what’s the big deal about representation. I don’t exactly pay attention to media and as a minority (I’m Chinese), I’d hardly consider myself all that represented in the media anyway. It seems kind of silly to need external validation for what you can and cannot be.


But recently, I realized two important things. First, I live in Canada. More specifically, I live in very multicultural Toronto and I just take it for granted that more or less everybody is represented - and Chinese people are actually likely the majority here. Second, I was represented in arguably the most influential way possible from birth; I was born to two conventionally successful individuals. My father was a mechanical engineer for a large firm who retired early. Remarkably, my mother was an electrical engineer, then went back to school for accounting and worked for some time before also retiring early.


From day one, I had two examples of success by two people with whom I shared DNA. For the most part, I still hold the same belief, albeit a LOT more tentatively.

5 notes 

Is it just me or

protego-et-servio:

absolutelyunoriginal:

is “it’s going to happen anyway if it’s illegal” not actually an argument for the merit of something? I don’t doubt that people understand this in a vacuum, but in practice, it doesn’t seem like it. It seems extremely counter-productive to me to try to talk about something’s morality and legality/practical application in the same conversation when both sides can disagree so strongly on extremely basic premises.


(Yes, I’m talking about abortion. Probably also marijuana and other things, but this was prompted by an abortion post I saw. And quite frankly, I’m not even sure the morality of abortion will ever be settled. Personhood is a far more philosophical discussion than it is a scientific discussion. And I’m sure many will argue with me on that too, so.)

Most pro-lifers want to “abolish abortion,” but their ultimate goal would only drive desperate people to back-alley, unlicensed “surgeons.”  The point in saying, “It’ll happen no matter what,” is to also bring about the fact that legal abortion is safe and hygienic, with little to no risk for the pregnant person.  If abortion was illegal again, pregnant people who sought abortion would be in a lot of danger and forced into hiding.  This is a horrible thing to do for people who need open support and love.

The reason why personhood relies on “philosophy” - I think it’s more observation and critical thinking, which is how we come to scientific hypotheses, isn’t it? - is the fact sentience hasn’t been fully explored by science.

Again though, those are two different discussions. If the two sides cannot even come close to bridging the chasm between their stances on abortion to begin with, discussing practical implications is basically worthless. The discussion really has to start with coming to an agreement on the morality of abortion. (So good luck to both sides.) What I’m actually getting at is that while it is a very valid point, it kind of misses the bigger picture. It certainly addresses the merits of whether abortion should be illegal, but it does not at all touch on whether abortion itself is moral. At the very most, logically speaking, that line of reasoning only says if you want to reduce abortion, find another way.


I guess overall though, I find it to be a totally counter-productive debate anyway because pro-lifers are, for the most part, not looking at it logically, but emotionally (or even worse, religiously). It’s kind of hard to blame them because why would it not be an emotional issue for both sides? I don’t mean to trivialize the whole thing but at this point, practically speaking, both sides are kind of just forced to resort to getting people in power that support their views on abortion. Neither side is really convincing the other.


Regardless, on the topic of personhood, I agree, but I disagree. You cannot really have empirical evidence of what it means to be a person. Even granting the fact that you can scientifically determine the moment a fetus feels pain, the moment a fetus has neural activity, the moment a fetus reaches some other marker one believes meets a criterion of personhood (and I do personally grant that)… it requires philosophy to determine what those criteria actually are. And many thinkers, past and present, have tried and reached no satisfactory consensus.

6 notes 

Is it just me or

is “it’s going to happen anyway if it’s illegal” not actually an argument for the merit of something? I don’t doubt that people understand this in a vacuum, but in practice, it doesn’t seem like it. It seems extremely counter-productive to me to try to talk about something’s morality and legality/practical application in the same conversation when both sides can disagree so strongly on extremely basic premises.


(Yes, I’m talking about abortion. Probably also marijuana and other things, but this was prompted by an abortion post I saw. And quite frankly, I’m not even sure the morality of abortion will ever be settled. Personhood is a far more philosophical discussion than it is a scientific discussion. And I’m sure many will argue with me on that too, so.)

6 notes 

Juuust throwing this out there, but

I think it’s really cool that I’ve started working out and done it consistently (except for ~10 days in March) for three months now. I’ve started getting stronger in the gym and I think that’s just the beginning. I’ve built some strength, yes, but I think I’ve mostly been building a foundation that will help me continue to get even stronger for years and years. (I say “in the gym” because there haven’t exactly been any moments where I’ve done something in my day to day life since I started working out that I can point to and say “Wow, I never could’ve done that before.” but I’m not worried. My brother will be moving back home from school after the semester at the end of the month, so I’ll hopefully have that moment soon.)


The thing is… I really haven’t taken care of my diet much at all. That’s not to say I’m eating poorly because I was extremely fortunate to be born to parents (or at least a mother… and eventually a father) that cares very deeply about health and nutrition. (Well, let’s be honest here… I was even more fortunate to be born to financially stable parents who earned enough money and valued their money enough to be able to retire when they got laid off in their late 50’s.) A lot of things that people seem to struggle with, I never did. I have no problem saying no to sugar. I have no trouble saying no to fatty foods. I am in the habit of eating fruits and vegetables every day. It’s a habit for me to look at the ingredients of things before I buy/eat them and looking at the nutritional facts on the package or finding it online.


But I digress. What I was trying to say is I haven’t taken care of my diet in the sense that before I started working out, diet was simple. I never counted calories and I never counted macro nutrients (etc, etc) because while I was active, I wasn’t breaking down my body methodically on a regular basis. But I live at home. I don’t grocery shop. One of my dirty secrets. Since I’ve started working out though, I’m constantly worried if I’m getting enough protein or enough energy from good carbs and fats to recover and grow muscle or if I’ve eaten too much or too little and all these things that I never cared about before. I’m not saying I should stop worrying about them, but even as I worry about them, I haven’t really made an effort to address these worries properly. And the one phrase that pops into my head all the time is, “You can’t out-train a bad diet.”


However, I’ll be moving out soon. I will have no choice but to actively partake in planning my diet and my meals and my nutrition. It’s not like I’d be starting from ground zero so I’m not too worried about being overwhelmed… but I’m almost glad I haven’t been able to find full time employment to jump into right away when I move to the US. (I’ve gotten two interviews, but one I ignored because I changed my mind on wanting the job and I wasn’t able to interview remotely for the other.) I’ve never lived on my own and never in another country so I will need time to adjust to both simultaneously. It seems like an odd thing to have so high on the list, but being able to better accommodate and assist the progress I’ve made in the gym is something I’m really looking forward to.


tl;dr: I am lazy. Diet needs a little help. It will get that help, or else. Some unintended rambling.

1 note 

In chronological order,

I told:

  • my (currently long distance) girlfriend
  • a co-worker
  • one of my closer friends (to ask for a job reference)
  • my manager
  • my parents
  • Facebook (on April Fools day; people believed me though, unfortunately)

that I was probably moving to another country soon. Interesting sequence, no? haha

SO MAD.

Somebody stole my phone at a house party when I was out of the country, so I had to go back to my old phone. Not a big deal, except Google came out with the Pokemon thing on their maps and I think my phone is too old for it?! THAT’S WHY I’M OUTRAGED. Somebody took away my chance to find a Charmander. Bastard.


… :’D

2 notes 

That awkward moment when

… you hear a song, then you hear the a different version by another artist later and you aren’t actually sure which was the original and which was the cover and/or finally learn that the first version you heard was just a cover.